Thursday 26 December 2019

1000 miles and Christmas Day Parkrun

At the beginning of the year my goal was to do a virtual Land's End to John O'Groats.  That landmark passed at the beginning of October so I reset the goal aiming to cover 1000 miles this year.  Tuesday's run finished with exactly 1001 miles recorded.

Wednesday was Christmas Day and Christmas Day parkrun.  It was touch and go whether Evesham would be on or not as the course was underwater on Monday.  Tuesday lunchtime they posted a video showing one of the core team sweeping the mud and gravel off the path - Evesham parkrun was on!

It's a few years since I'd done Evesham parkrun and they'd made a few changes.  There's now a winter route which keeps entirely to the riverside path - good job as the course I knew had standing water on it still.  The path is very narrow and with runners going in both directions, plus dog walkers, over-taking is near impossible for the first mile - I think 10:10 must be the slowest mile I've ever done in Parkrun except for the time I was tailwalker.  Miles 2 & 3 were faster as the runners were more spread out and overtaking became possible.  

Another change was they'd tarmaced almost all the riverside path - and I'd worn my trail shoes 😖.  Not the best combination.

Now the next question - where to go for a New Year's Day double?