Sunday 31 December 2017

2017 - the final numbers

The great thing about using something like a Garmin watch is that you get so many facts back about your running (and weight training, swimming, cycling and dog walking).  Here's how 2017 looks for my running:

Total Distance:  982.02 miles. Thanks to a few snow days that meant missing runs that's 12 miles short of my target of 1000 miles in a year.  It didn't help that I also missed quite a few runs early in the year when DH was ill.  

Time spent running: 191 hours 36 minutes 31 seconds. That's almost 8 days.

Calories burned:  81,591.  I like this stat - when you consider that ultra-running is often said to be a cake and crisps eating contest that's 21.9 kg of chocolate cake ðŸ˜‹ or 435 packets of crisps I could have eaten. (Dread to think what 435 packets of crisps would do to my blood pressure though!)

Elevation gained: 16,480 metres. Or 1.8 times the height of Everest.

Average pace: 11 mins 41 secs /mile  (5.1 mph) but this includes the times I was completing ultra runs where the pace drops because of the distance, walking breaks, aid station stops and running on trails.  If you exclude the ultra runs then my average paces was 9 mins 30 secs /mile (6.3 mph) which is still pretty slow.

Most miles in a month: 206 in August which was peak training for the Westminster to Cheltenham run.  Although 145 miles in 4 days is the most concentrated running I ran very little in the following 2 weeks while recovering which knocks the months total down quite a bit.


Average length of run: 5.99 miles

Based on a BBC Sport article on the UK's exercise habits, excluding ultra runs, I'm slightly faster than the average woman runner in the UK (09:34 per mile) and on average I run 1.4 times as far on each occasion (UK average 4.3 miles).  Not that it really matters of course, most of us are only competing with ourselves.

Time to reset the miles counter for 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment