Saturday 7 October 2017

Happy Birthday Parkrun - 13 today

I'm a huge fan of the concept of Parkrun - mass participation, it's a run not a race, you can jog or walk.  But when it comes to taking part I'm less enthusiastic and only turn up occasionally.  In the time it takes to drive there, run the 5k (3 miles) and drive home I could have run 10 miles.  And the Parkrun I normally go to doesn't have much of an atmosphere and the course isn't great either with two tight 'U' turns on each lap.  And running a 5k as fast as I can hurts more than running 30 miles - it just doesn't last as long!

But it was Parkrun's 13th birthday today.  So I thought I'd turn up and show some support.  In total there were 111 runners at the event I joined today and I finished 50th overall (14th female) with what for me was a fairly middling time, though most runners today seemed to be 30 secs to a minute slower than their PB as overnight rain had left the course 'greasy'.  I suppose if you want a personal best it's also better not to have run a hard hill work session the night before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment