Sunday 22 October 2017

Stroud Half Marathon - good and bad

The good is that today's result is my best half marathon time this year at 02:03:36.  The bad is that's over 9 minutes slower than my PB set on this course last year.

Of course last year I hadn't run an ultra marathon just five weeks before - which has a lot to do with today's result.  

The first 6 miles were fine with my pace actually a little faster than last year.  It even felt easier than last year, not feeling like I was even breathing that much harder than I would on an easy run (which fits with my experience of running this pace in training the last few weeks).  Then my left knee started to hurt.  

I managed to maintain a respectable pace until about mile 9 - which would have brought me in just under the two hour mark.  But from then it was a real struggle - I even resorted to walking for a minute at about 11 miles to see if that would ease off the pain.  It didn't so I carried on running but now very slowly - more a jog than a run.  All of which pushed my time over the two hour mark.

Meanwhile Scott, my running buddy from the Westminster to Cheltenham ultra marathon finished in a very respectable 1 hour 52 minutes.

Oh well, there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment