Monday 29 April 2019

Week 16 - Race Week

Lots of travelling for work this week with a trip up to Scotland.  Not ideal preparation for a marathon with the travel, eating in hotels and restaurants and long days.  Good job it was taper week or I'd have got no training in.

Managed a couple of 3 mile runs along the Clyde - very, very flat compared with home.  

Saturday was a very chilly day as timekeeper at Parkrun.  Very glad that the strongest winds went through on the Saturday rather than during Sunday's race.



Sunday was very cold first thing.  Managed to hang on to all my layers until about 20 mins before the start of the Stratford Marathon, then bundled them into my bag and dropped them off.  Lots of people shivering on the start line then discarding clothing over the first couple of miles. 

Plenty of water points but the bottled water tasted vile.  Even flavoured with Tailwind it wasn't great.  But needs must ...

Also a lot more runners in the Marathon this year, so it wasn't quite running on your own once the half split off.  And some support around the course, except on the Greenway where you need it most.  At least I had my head prepared for the lack of support on lap 2 this time.

It wasn't the best race I've ever run (in fact it's my slowest ever marathon time 😢) Possibly a bit undertrained - certainly didn't manage all of the pace work and long runs.  Also started a bit too fast - easy done but it took it's toll later.  Was doing well up until about 21 miles when suddenly I ran out of steam.  It always happens at this point, perhaps I'm just not meant to run marathons.  Ended up running 300 paces then walking 100 until mile 25 which I walked just about all of.  Managed to save a bit for running in the park at the finish but my legs had gone pretty stiff by that point.  

Crossing the finish line was lovely, but within seconds my legs had seized up.  Struggled to walk to the bag drop and then to the car.  Have spent the afternoon eating and drinking - managed to drop 1.5kg during the race.  

As always a really nice finishers medal for this event.




Stats for the week:
Miles: 31.13
Elevation gained: 184 metres
LeJog: over half way to John O'Groats

No comments: