Saturday 30 September 2017

Back Running

The original plan said one day off for every 10 miles run, so I shouldn't have started running again until next Tuesday (3 Oct).  But I've been getting more and more frustrated and desperate to run again over the last couple of days.  My resting heart rate has settled back into it's normal range.  My knees don't hurt any more, not even walking two miles on concrete pavements in hard shoes upset them, though there is still a tiny bit of swelling on my right knee.  So today I decided that's it, lets go for a short run and see what happens.

I wasn't looking at my watch as I was just intending to take it easy and see how it went.  Then I did look at my watch and it said 8 mins 25 secs a mile.   My breathing was nice and easy so I was expecting to see it say 9 min 30 or even 10 min a mile. I thought it must just be a glitch, sometimes if the GPS signal is lost for a few seconds you can get a false reading on the next update.    I looked again and it still said 8 mins 25 sec a mile.   Maybe I really was running at that pace.  Nothing was hurting so I carried on.

The route turns sharply uphill at the just after two miles which slowed things down a bit.  I didn't want to push things too hard and get injured so I worked on simply keeping my breathing the same. Compared to the last time I ran this route about 8 weeks ago my average pace this time was 1 min 12 secs a mile faster.  All of which is good as it's just three weeks to the Stroud Half Marathon - best get my entry in while there are still places left. 

Today's distance - an amazing 2.57 miles (it's important not to overdo things!)

No comments:

Post a Comment