Sunday 24 September 2017

Sleep

Fascinating article in today's Guardian about the impacts of getting insufficient sleep.  

It quotes some figures for the impact of sleep on athletic performance which are particularly relevant to anyone doing endurance sports.  If the figure that the time to reach exhaustion drops by 10 - 30% if you get less than 8 hours sleep is accurate that would explain why I found the final day of the W2C so hard.  We didn't get to eat until 9.00pm on day 3 so it was gone 10.00pm by the time we were even heading to our rooms.  Allowing time for undressing, cleaning teeth, getting clothes ready for the next day, it would have been after 1030 when I got into bed.  With the alarm set for 5.45 am that would have given me a maximum of 7 hours 15 min sleep.  It was probably a good bit less than that.

Would I have felt better or worse if I'd skipped the meal and gone straight to bed?  

No comments:

Post a Comment